Thursday, October 17, 2013

What is an American?

In my opinion I don't think that there is a definitive group of people that can all identify themselves together as Americans.  There is such a huge clash between cultures and a mix of backgrounds in the United States that it is impossible to pick out one of them as the image for an American.   I suppose one could say that an American is anyone that is a citizen of the United States, but that really doesn't tell us who that person is.  However I do think there is a specific image or rather two specific images that come to my mind and a lot of other people's mind when they hear the word America.  The first image that I think people see is a bunch of obese people, indulging in fast food and a lazy lifestyle.  The other image I think people see is one of hope.  A place where anything is possible, anyone can make a name for themselves, and a place where life is better.  I prefer to think about the second image that comes to mind, and I like to believe that an American is someone who makes all of those good things possible.  That an American is an innovator and a bright thinker and a good person.  I hope that in the future that, that is the image that will stay in people's minds when they think of an American.  Not of the selfish, wasteful, and just overall bad American, but the generous, smart, and kind American.  In addition to all of this I hope that people will see Americans a mind that is open to all possibilities as to who an American can be.  That anyone, no matter how they identify themselves through their race, sexual orientation, or any other part of them, can be an American.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your points here, especially about how there are two views to the American. I definitely agree with that. How do we erase the image of that lazy, obese American out of people's minds? I agree, I also see the hopeful image, but I think there should be something we can do to get rid of the first, worse image. This just goes to show that in some forms, America has been going downhill lately, and we, as the young Americans, have to figure out how to fix that. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your points and I think the reason (or one of the reasons) why most people would first think of that first image is because negative impressions are easier to remember than the positive one, so it'll be hard for Americans to shed that image than to better their image.

    ReplyDelete